Find Us On:
Fertilization in Late Fall
A late fall nitrogen fertilizer application coupled with our 5 step program, or as a stand alone application, will enable your lawn to develop below ground, which leads directly to a thicker lawn (more grass plants) in the spring. This high nitrogen fertilizer is applied in October and November for maximum benefits. Normal weather conditions provide adequate moisture for proper breakdown and ease of uptake by the plant. This, coupled with short fall days, forces the grass plants to produce more roots, rhizomes and tillers, with minimum blade growth so no excessive mowing.
Root and shoot growth of bluegrass and perennial ryegrass occur most readily in the temperature range of 50-65º F. This growth will continue until the soil is near freezing.
Why Late Fall Fertilization?
- Improve winter stress tolerance.
- Increased rhizome and tiller development directly increasing the number of new grass plants in the lawn next spring.
- Encourage deeper, stronger roots. Grass without a good root system cannot battle disease, drought, and other stresses.
- Extends the greening of turf later into the fall and winter.
- Decrease in disease activity in the fall allowing higher fertility.
- Spring green-up will normally occur earlier.
Struyk Turf serving Southwest Iowa and Southeast Nebraska ... Licensed - Certified - Insured